The Food and Drug Administration said in a statement that it has been “aware of more than 70 dogs that have died and more than 80 that are sick after eating Sportmix pet food. Aflatoxin is a toxin that can grow in corn and other grains used as ingredients in pet food, according to the FDA. Dog food has been recalled for several years and we have compiled the following list. Is your dog food on our list? The recalls are listed in order from most recent to oldest.
Looking for cat food recalls? Go here. Veterinarians said their dog food could be the culprit. Dogs develop heart disease that veterinarians have linked to their diet. Sixteen brands of dog food may be associated with an increased risk of heart failure in dogs, according to the Food and Drug Administration.
The FDA is not suggesting that pet owners stop feeding their dogs particular brands, but some veterinarians are already advising against grain-free foods. Most of the reports were associated with dry dog food formulations, but included raw food, semi-moist food, and wet food. FDA compliance officers told Midwestern Pet Foods that a recall alone is not enough to prevent more contaminated food from entering the animal feed supply. The dog food recall is expanding after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) learned that more than 70 dogs died after eating the contaminated food and that another 80 became ill.
The family had a second dog that looked healthy, but because both were eating a grain-free dog food, Gelzer suggested bringing the second dog in for review. At least 28 dogs have died and eight others have fallen ill after eating dog food that contained high levels of a toxin called aflatoxin, the Food and Drug Administration said, as some pet foods were recalled Wednesday. HOUSTON — Multi-brand dog food sold nationwide is in the process of being recalled because it may contain high levels of aflatoxin, a by-product of mold that could poison your dog. These dog owners thought they were doing everything they could for their pets by feeding them expensive and special foods.
The problem first came to light in late December when Midwestern Pet Food recalled nine batches of Sportmix pet food after tests showed that the food could have been contaminated by aflatoxins. The food was recalled due to contamination with high levels of a toxin produced by mold that can grow in pet food. At the time, the FDA had received reports that at least 28 dogs had died (and eight more dogs had fallen ill) after eating Sportmix foods containing corn. Food %26 Drug Administration has expanded its recall of dog food brands that have too much vitamin D, which could make your pet sick.
The FDA then expanded the recall earlier this month after receiving reports that more than 70 dogs had died and another 80 became ill after eating the contaminated food. The FDA is currently investigating more than 500 reports that appear to link dog foods that are marketed as grain-free with canine dilated cardiomyopathy. Gelzer isn't sure what the results will be if those early-stage dogs switch to a different food.